Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Camelbak M.U.L.E Review

Before going on a ski trip right after Christmas, I was looking for a pack or a bag that would let me carry an extra set of gloves, sunglasses, water, snacks and my GPS unit. I looked at a lot of packs at Cabela's, Gander Mountain, REI, and other places but most of the packs were either too big, too small, or too expensive.

Eventually I stumbled across the Camelbak M.U.L.E series of packs. These seemed to be just the right size, could carry the included 3 liter water bladder and a few miscellaneous items, along with the price being in my budget. After further research I learned that Camelbak made a regular version and a Military/Tactical version. The only differences are the colors and materials used in construction of the packs and the fact that the Military/Tactical version came with the mil-spec water bladder, which is made of tougher, durable material, and it had an insulated tube. While I certainly wasn't going to be going into any combat zones or police raids with the pack, the added durability sold me on the Military/Tactical version. It was also only about $10 dollars more than the regular version when I purchased it on Amazon right before Christmas.

I took this pack on the ski trip and was very happy with the way it performed. The straps kept it firmly secured to my back, it wasn't too big and bulky when riding the lifts although it held everything I needed it to. The insulated drinking tube also kept it from freezing even though it was below 10 degrees on a couple of the days. I was able to carry snacks, and even a sandwich in one of the top pockets, along with my sunglasses, extra gloves, a GPS unit, and some extra hand warmers. 

After using it for 6 days skiing, I can honestly say that there is not one thing that I could improve about it. I have since used it when going on fishing trips, camping, and even playing paintball. The materials used are very tough and durable, and the black color doesn't stand out like some of the colors of the regular version.

Here is a quick slideshow that shows the ins and outs of the pack - 



If you are looking for a new, lightweight pack don't hesitate to check out the Camelbak M.U.L.E series, both the regular versions and the Mil/Tac versions.

No comments:

Post a Comment