Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Hammocks

I'm going to start off by saying I am by no means an expert at anything, just a regular everyday guy trying to help people out with ideas and choices about exploring the outdoors. With that said, when I first read about people camping in hammocks, I thought there was no way it would be for me, but after a little research and catching a hammock at a great price, I decided to explore the world of hammocks a little bit. Most people probably think of hammocks as those woven machines of death found on beaches and by the pools, where you spend more time trying to not be thrown off than relaxing. A hammock without wooden spreader bars is much more stable, compact, and comfortable.

What I found was that sleeping in a hammock when outside, whether it is a hunting, fishing, camping trip, or just a house that is too crowded during the holidays, makes perfect sense for me and my environment.

These are the hammocks most people think of, but hammocks
without spreader bars are way more comfortable, stable and compact.
As you might know, it gets pretty hot here in the South, and in particular Texas. I used to dread trying to fall asleep when camping in the summer because it would be so hot that you could barely breath. But after trying out a hammock, I've ditched the tent and sleeping bag for a Grand Trunk Skeeter Beeter Pro Hammock.

When sleeping in a hammock, you are more open to the wind, which can help cool you off. Combine this with the fact that you are laying above the ground, and the wind can blow over AND under you, and you have a setup that can be up to 20-25 degrees cooler than sleeping in a tent. I have tried sleeping in my hammock in the Spring, Summer, and Fall, which can all have temperatures north of 80 degrees. I haven't tried it out in the winter yet because I feel like it would be too hard to stay warm with the equipment I have.
This is the kind you actually want to use for sleeping in.

Using a hammock is quite simple, and a lot easier to carry around and set up that a tent. As long as you have 2 trees close enough to each other, you are in business. Most modern hammocks pack up into bags the smaller than a football. My hammock has a built in mosquito net that comes in pretty handy on muggy days when bugs are out in full force.

It takes less than 5 minutes to set up a hammock and by setting it up so that it sags instead of being tight, you can lay diagonally in the hammock and it will stretch out completely flat. This is by far the most comfortable way to sleep in a hammock and often puts me to sleep within minutes.

If you want to try your hand at sleeping in a hammock, they can be found at most major outdoor retailers for as cheap as $20 and as expensive as $200. It all depends on what features you are looking for. If you are interested, check out Grand Trunk or ENO hammocks as they can be had for reasonable prices and most models are made out of comfortable and durable parachute fabric.

So let me know, have you ever slept in a hammock? What about sleeping in a hammock appeals to you? Leave a comment below.

Links
Combined with a tarp and the right gear, you can sleep in a
hammock anywhere, anytime of the year.
Cabela's - Hammocks
Gander Mountain - Hammocks
Grand Trunk Hammocks
ENO Hammocks
Hammock Tips and Tricks

No comments:

Post a Comment