Sunday, March 2, 2014

Weather

March 1, 2014 Commerce Weather Forecast
The recent weather in Texas is a good reminder how unpredictable the weather can be. When you are doing anything in the outdoors, whether it is camping or hunting or fishing, you should always be aware of changing weather and be prepared for the worst.

Texas weather is a good example how fast things can change. I can remember sitting in the drive thru line at a fast food place and before I ordered my food, the temperature was 99, and by the time got my food at the window, the temperature was 72. While a change like this probably wouldn't cause problems for people, it does illustrate exactly how quickly it can change.

March 2, 2014 Commerce Weather Forecast

You should always have a jacket and hat or some other cold weather clothing nearby in case the weather changes rapidly. I also keep a poncho and emergency blanket in my hunting backpack and my camping bag in case I run into bad weather or the temperature drops suddenly.

As far as clothing goes, fleece is always a good option because it is lightweight and can block the wind. Wool, although heavy is another good option because it retains its warmth even when completely wet, unlike cotton. I usually keep an Under Armour jacket packed in my bag as well. It is really compact, zips up into itself forming a pillow, and the Armourloft insulation, which from what I can tell is just Under Armour's version of Primaloft insulation, is incredibly warm and lightweight at the same time. I've worn this while camping in Big Bend where it got down to 17 degrees at night, and I've worn it while hunting for hours on end in temperatures as low as 20 degrees. Another compact, warm clothing option is any number of the jackets made by The North Face.

Links:
Emergency Blankets
Poncho
Disposable Bodywarmers
Under Armour Jacket
Men's North Face Jackets
Women's North Face Jackets

No comments:

Post a Comment